Montana Fish and "Hang" WeekenD
Welcome to the West Yellowstone Montana Fish and “Hang” weekend of connection, empowerment, and fun hosted by United Women on the Fly. This event is the UWOTF fish and “hang” format, where participants venture out to fish on their own each day and then hang out in the evenings. The weekend has been designed to be budget-friendly. Camp, reserve a cabin/hotel, DIY Fishing, or hire a guide. The event takes place in West Yellowstone, Montana, from 6/23 – 6/25/23.
Please utilize the Facebook Group to connect with other women attending and make weekend fishing friends. If needed, the event co-hosts will try to help connect you with someone to fish with. Please let us know if you need to borrow any equipment.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
West Yellowstone, MT
June 23rd – 25th, 2023
Live Q&A Session
This weekend has been designed to be budget-friendly. Camp, reserve a cabin/hotel, DIY Fishing, or hire a guide. Everyone goes out daily to fish and then “hangs” in the evening.
- Friday 6/23/23 – Arrive and DIY Fish
- DIY Fish
- We will announce a location in West Yellowstone for beverages and tales in the Facebook Group.
- Saturday 6/24/23- DIY Fishing and Exploring
- DIY Fish
- 7pm – Appetizer Potluck and Mocktails at the Pavilion in Pioneer Park
- Sunday 6/25/23. – DIY Fish and Depart
You’re on your own for your food. Please bring an appetizer to share and your favorite non-alcoholic beverage of choice to the Saturday evening gathering. The Saturday gathering location will be in the Pavilion at Pioneer Park in downtown West Yellowstone.
Connect in the Facebook Group
We have created a Facebook Group specific to this weekend’s event. Please utilize this group to ask questions and connect with other women to fish with over the weekend. This will be the location to which the co-hosts will post additional event information. Join Facebook Group HERE.
West Yellowstone is a town in southern Montana. It’s a gateway to Yellowstone National Park. We chose these dates for a chance at the famous salmon fly hatch on the Henry’s Fork and on the Madison River.
The nearest airports are West Yellowstone WYS 10 mins, Bozeman BZN 2hrs, Idaho Falls IDA 1hr 45mins, Jackson JAC 3hrs, Salt Lake City SLC 4hrs 45 mins, Boise 5hrs 45mins.
There are several lodging options in and around West Yellowstone. Airbnb, VRBO, Hotels/Motels, Cabin Rentals, etc. Please post in the Facebook Group if you are looking for a roommate or want to share lodging expenses.
Please consider using Roam Property Management, a women owned business in West Yellowstone. Click HERE.
There are several camping, cabin, and RV options around West Yellowstone. We have listed a few locations to help you find a place. We acknowledge that some of the campgrounds are further from West Yellowstone than others. We’d recommend camping near the best fishing and driving in for the festivities in the evening. The days are long, and many women are making carpool plans within the Facebook Group.
West Yellowstone, famous for fishing, is located near the headwaters of the Madison, Gallatin, and Henry’s Fork of the Snake River.
June offers expanded possibilities in Yellowstone National Park, where the best fishing places are the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison Rivers. Small streams such as Straight, Glen, Indian, and others offer fine angling for beginners. The second week of June sees the Gibbon and Madison Rivers clear of snowmelt, and the ice comes off lakes like Yellowstone, Grebe, and Trout.
If you’re choosing to DIY Fish, please look at the handout with locations of where to go and suggested equipment. If you need gear, please let us know.
Multiple fishing licenses might be required based on where you are fishing. No state fishing license is required in Yellowstone National Park, but you need a Yellowstone Park Fishing Permit. The Madison River is in Montana, and the Henry’s Fork is in Idaho, and there are lots of fishing options in both states. We have provided links for the specific licenses and permits below.
If fishing in Yellowstone National Park, fishing permits are available at all ranger stations, visitor centers, and Yellowstone Park General Stores. Fishing permits are also available at many businesses in West Yellowstone and the Fly Shops.
Regulations and Fishing Regions – https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishing.htm
- Northwest – https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishing_nw.htm
- Northeast – https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishing_ne.htm
- Southwest – https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishing_sw.htm
- Southeast – https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishing_se.htm
Felt-soled Boots prohibited
To reduce the potential for introducing or spreading aquatic invasive species, footgear with absorbent felt or other fibrous material on the soles is prohibited while fishing in Yellowstone.
Hire a Women Guide
Hire a women guide or fly fishing instructor.
- Alice Owsley – https://riversideanglers.com/ (Booked)
- Aurorra Dominguez – https://www.mrfc.com/pages/montana-fly-fishing-trips
- Carlye Luft – https://www.montanaflyfishing.com/
- Chrstianna Tran – https://montanawomensflyfishingschool.com/
- Dinah Dimeolo – https://bigskyanglers.com/pages/instructional-clinics
- Karlie Roland – https://www.trouthunt.com/
- Kara Tripp – https://damselflyfishing.com/
- Katherine Robinson – https://www.blueribbonflies.com/
- Kristy Aserlind – https://www.guideddiscoverymt.com/
- Nichole Dye – https://bigskyanglers.com/ (Booked)
Hire a Local Guide
Fly Fishing guides are available throughout the West Yellowstone, Madison River, and Henry’s Fork area. Hire your guide early, as this is a busy time. Here are a few fly shops that we recommend.
- Beartooth Fly Shop – https://www.beartoothflyfishing.com/
- Big Sky Anglers – https://bigskyanglers.com/
- Blue Ribbon Flies – https://www.blueribbonflies.com/
- Henry’s Fork Anglers – https://www.henrysforkanglers.com/
- Jacklins Fly Shop – http://jacklinsflyshop.qwestoffice.net/
- Madison River Fishing Company – https://www.mrfc.com/
- Madison River Outfitters – https://madisonriveroutfitters.com/
- Slide Inn – https://www.slideinn.com/
- The Tackle Shop – https://www.thetackleshop.com/
- Trout Hunter’s – https://www.trouthunt.com/
- Trout Stalkers – https://www.montanatrout.com/
United Women on the Fly will host a virtual meeting to discuss the event and to help answer any questions.
Safety is our biggest concern. We will follow the CDC and State of Montana recommendations. We ask that you do not attend if you have Covid symptoms or have tested positive.
United Women on the Fly wants you to have an unforgettable weekend. The event’s mission is to foster a sense of belonging in all attending individuals. We will provide education and resources and connect anglers throughout the weekend. Drama of any kind will not be tolerated. This weekend is DIY and not guided by the co-hosts. Please connect with other women in the Facebook Group to make fishing plans. This is not an exclusive women’s weekend, as some partners will attend.