United Women on the Fly Mission
United Women on the Fly is committed to building an inclusive community that educates, provides resources, encourages, and connects anglers from all backgrounds into the sport of fly fishing. We will foster a sense of belonging by centering, valuing and amplifying the voices, perspectives and styles of women. UWOTF acknowledges that our events and photos shared take place on traditional, unceded Indigenous lands.
United Women on the Fly core values consist of connecting anglers, continuing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work, offering accessible education, promoting change through education rather than shaming and being a fly-fishing resource.
- CONNECTION – United Women on the Fly connects anglers via various social media platforms, community events, classes, Facebook closed group, UWOTF Website and Regional Mentors.
- DEI WORK – Over the past couple of years, United Women on the Fly (UWOTF), has shifted from gender parity to celebrating diversity, working towards equitable outdoor opportunities, and practicing inclusion within the fly-fishing community. This work is ongoing and never ending.
- We aim to promote inclusivity through internal training/education and external engagement with our community. We have hired Real Consulting, a black and indigenous women owned JEDI consulting company, for guidance throughout our journey.
- UWOTF is committed to equal representation of all women throughout our social media platforms, website and events. We are working to amplify the voices of underrepresented outdoors women by providing a space where their voice is heard and shared.
- We are aligning ourselves with individuals, events and organizations with a DEI initiative.
- EDUCATION – We are working towards accessible education that is gender inclusive and available to everyone. Our 2021 focus is education in both fly fishing and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Check out our Tuesday Tips, Blogs, FREE Intro to Fly Fishing Class and Online Fly Fishing Classes.
- We acknowledge the many barriers to fly fishing. United Women on the Fly offers scholarships for all classes that charge a fee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a scholarship.
- NO SHAMING – Our goal is to create a supportive community for learning and connecting. United Women on the Fly does not support shaming or bullying. We choose to educate versus shame.
- RESOURCES – United Women on the Fly strives to be a fly-fishing resource for anglers. Our social media platforms provide links for education, outdoor and anti-racism conversations, diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work and information, women fly fishing groups, weekly virtual fly-fishing events, UWOTF news and so much more.
- Follow us at @unitedwomenonthefly.
United Women on the Fly is committed to equal representation for all women throughout our education, social media platforms and website.
United Women on the Fly is working to amplify the voices of women by providing a space where their voice is heard and shared. We will foster a sense of belonging by centering, valuing and amplifying the voices, perspectives and styles of women.
United Women on the Fly is focused on aligning ourselves with individuals, events, and organizations with a DEI plan.
Angling for All Pledge
In September 2020 United Women on the Fly signed the “Angling For All” Pledge with Brown Folks Fishing. The Pledge establishes a benchmark for learning and a commitment to addressing racism and inequality in fishing and its industry.
Everyone on the Water
United Women on the Fly does not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, disabilities, or age. ** Some events are women specific events. **
Keep Fish Wet
United Women on the Fly is a media partner with Keep Fish Wet and do our best to share your photos of fish in the water, slightly above the water or dripping throughout our media. We’d love to see more photos expressing the #keepfishwet lifestyle! You can check out the most up to date science, principles & tips for proper fish handling for catch and release. All of the UWOTF Team Members have signed the Keep Fish Wet Pledge.
United Women on the Fly supports the local harvest of fish. Be sure to check the local regulations.