"Independent Angler" Workshop
The Independent Angler workshop will give you the knowledge to continue your fly fishing journey. We want you to leave feeling more confident and competent on the water. This course is geared towards the beginner to the intermediate angler. You will have access to the online “Fly Fishing 101” and “Reading Trout Water” course to review before the women’s weekend. Experience not required. Equipment can be borrowed if needed. Register HERE.
Rose River Farm in Syria Virginia
Saturday, May 20th, 2023
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Payment & REfunds
Payment in full is due at the time of registration. All payments have a seven-day cancellation policy, from the date of registration, for a full refund minus a small Eventbrite processing fee. After seven days, all payments are forfeited, unless a replacement participant is found.
This scholarship is created for women-identifying, fly fishing students, 18 years or older, who are either:
- A member of a diverse group (broadly defined to include race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical disability, or economic/educational disadvantage) that is historically underrepresented in the outdoors and fly fishing sport; or
- Someone that demonstrates a long-standing commitment to diversity that the award of the scholarship will further.
In partnership with TroutRoutes, providing 100% funding for the Virginia “Independent Angler” Weekend and Fly Fish Instruct is donating the workshop curriculum, “Independent Angler” manual, 1/2 day on the water instruction with Heather Hodson, and the optional travel stipend.
We believe that everyone should have access to fly-fishing education and are living out this mission through our scholarship program. The scholarship funding comes from direct donations and via donation-based online courses. In 2022, Fly Fish Instruct provided more than 150 individuals free access to the “Intro to Fly Fishing” online course and over 50 scholarships and donated courses.
Course curriculum being provided by Fly Fish Instruct.
- Leader and Tippet Talk
- Basic Fly Fishing Knots and Leader Set-Ups
- Fly Types
- Leader Set-Ups
- Casting Drills
- Mending Demonstrations
- ABCs of Fly Fishing
- How to Approach the Water
- Searching vs Targeting
- Intro to Reading Water
- How to Choose the Correct Fly
- Intro to Entomology and Match the Hatch
- TroutRoutes App and How to Use It
What's Not Included?
- Travel to and from Syria VA
- Guided Fishing
- Fly Fishing Equipment
- Available to Borrow if Needed
- Virginia Fishing License (Not Required for Workshop)
Rose River Farm is located in Syria VA, less than an hour from Shenandoah National Park. Located 7 miles from Route 29 and the Town of Madison. 17 miles from Culpeper and 25 miles from Charlottesville. Only 1:45 from Washington DC.
The nearest airport to Syria is Charlottesville (CHO) Airport which is 25.1 miles away. Other nearby airports include Washington Dulles (IAD) (57.6 miles), Reagan Washington (DCA) (74.1 miles), Richmond (RIC) (87.2 miles) and Baltimore (BWI) (101.8 miles).