United Women on the Fly (UWOTF), TroutRoutes, and Fly Fish Instruct are excited to offer a Women’s “Independent Angler” Weekend to the recipient with an optional $200 travel stipend. This scholarship opportunity provides diverse women with education and financial assistance to explore their interest in fly fishing during an all-inclusive weekend trip in the beautiful state of Virginia. Candidates chosen for this scholarship will learn to fly fish on private water in Virginia. Participants are encouraged to share this opportunity with others.
- TroutRoutes, the #1 Trout Fishing App. The best mobile tool for anglers provides map resources for every trout stream in the lower 48 and features to help you quickly and responsibly get to the water. Trout Routes provides 100% funding for the Virginia “Independent Angler” Weekend (see below).
- Fly Fish Instruct, a community-driven organization with a mission of offering accessible and affordable fly-fishing education to ALL. Fly Fish Instruct is donating the workshop curriculum, “Independent Angler” manual, 1/2 day on water instruction with Heather Hodson, and an optional travel stipend (see below).
UWOTF DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) Commitment
UWOTF is committed to enhancing diversity in the fly fishing community by supporting fly fishing students at key stages of their fly fishing development. United Women On The Fly seeks to remove financial and access barriers by offering BIPOC & LGBTQIA+ students free access to online education, in-person mentors, and resources throughout their fly fishing journey.
- Lodging 5/19 – 5/21/23 at the Rose River Farm. Lodging will be in a shared Yurt with 3 other women. Everyone has their own bed with a shared bathroom.
- Meals Included
- Friday – Dinner
- Saturday – Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Sunday – Breakfast and Lunch
- 4hrs – “Independent Angler” Course by Fly Fish Instruct on Saturday 5/20/23
- Sunday 1/2 Day On Water Instruction with Heather Hodson
- Private Water Rod Fee for Sunday 5/21/23
- Virginia Fishing License
- Free Membership to TroutRoutes
- Optional $200 Travel Stipend
This scholarship is created for women-identifying, fly fishing students, 18 years or older, who are either:
- A member of a diverse group (broadly defined to include race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical disability, or economic/educational disadvantage) that is historically underrepresented in the outdoors and fly fishing sport; or
- Someone that demonstrates a long-standing commitment to diversity that the award of the scholarship will further.
- To apply, please share your story including answers to the following questions on the provided Google Form listed below.
- Scholarship Questions –
- What inspired you to begin or want to begin fly-fishing?
- How would you like to see the future of fly-fishing look for your community and the broader fly-fishing community?
- Why do you feel you should be considered for the Virginia Women’s “Independent Angler” Weekend?
- Scholarship Questions –
- Fill out the scholarship application form.
- Form Link – https://forms.gle/oSaGsx2VFxAcb3SL7
- Scholarship applications are to be submitted through the UWOTF Google Form.
- Scholarship Form Link – https://forms.gle/oSaGsx2VFxAcb3SL7
- Scholarship Application is open from 1/13/23 – 3/10/23.
- All applicant information will be compiled anonymously by a UWOTF Team member not on the Scholarship Selection Team on 3/12/23.
- Scholarship Selection Team will meet virtually to discuss the anonymous applicants on 3/16/23.
- UWOTF workshop lead will reach out to the scholarship winner on 3/16/23 to let them know they were the scholarship winner and share all event details.
- The Scholarship winner will be announced on 3/22/23.
The Scholarship Selection Team comprises Virginia Workshop Instructors, Angelica Talan, TroutRoute Appointee, and Fly Fish Instruct Instructor Bob Bartlett.
We believe that everyone should have access to fly-fishing education and are living out this mission through our scholarship program. The scholarship funding comes from direct donations and via donation-based online courses. In 2022, Fly Fish Instruct provided more than 150 individuals free access to the “Intro to Fly Fishing” online course and over 50 scholarships and donated courses.